St Andrew’s School for Girls, Johannesburg, South Africa
Director of Rowing for the Open Age Group and 1st/2nd Quad Coach.
St Andrew’s School for Girls Rowing Club has a very successful coaching structure in place, which caters for the development of oarswomen through sculling. The Rowing Club has been in existence since 1996 and has grown substantially over the past couple of seasons. The club aims to accommodate all abilities and levels of commitment to foster enjoyment of great team sport. Recent successes of the girls open age group include the winning of the Junior Women’s u19 Quad at the 2011 South African Schools Championships and numerous girls have gone on to represent South Africa at the World Junior Championships.
The club is seeking a highly motivated individual who shares a great passion for rowing to coach the open age group for the 2013/14 school season. The successful candidate needs to have a high level of expertise in the sport and will need to have fair amount of experience in the coaching of sculling crews.
Training takes place both at the school gym at St Andrews and at Victoria Lake in Germiston, Johannesburg.
1. Overall responsibility of managing and coaching of the open age group on a day-to-day basis.
2. The allocation of a suitable training program that fits in with the aims and objectives of the age group.
3. Overall responsibility of identifying and selecting various crews within the open age group.
4. Ensuring that the all equipment and boats are adequately set for training and for competition.
5. Working in conjunction with the Head Coach to ensure that club continues to be a successful and integrated part of the School.
6. Attendance of all training sessions, training camps, tours and regattas.
Person Specific Criteria of Applicants
1. An excellent understanding of the principles and practice of coaching rowing with the practical experience to back it up.
2. Strong written and verbal skills.
3. Evident Passion in the sport
4. The determination to get the best out of every pupil.
5. Strong intrapersonal skills with the ability to inspire both pupils and colleagues alike.
6. An understanding of the place of rowing within the context of an academic school.
7. The vision to initiate new ideas and the skills to implement them.
8. The postion will available from the 1st of August of 2013.
Closing date for Applicants: 26th May 2013
A CV and a letter of motivation needs to be sent to the following address: